Monday, January 3, 2011

Why We Learn

It is my personal conviction that all instruction and discipline can and should be taken back to the Word of God.  At the beginning of the school year, I was again faced with the question every educator and parent dreads:

Why do we need to learn this?


My first reaction mirrored that of most adults:  because I said so!  Or what so many teachers must admit too today:  because it's on the test!  But neither answer sat well in my heart.  I began asking God to give me an answer from His word. How would Jesus answer this question?  What would God want me to tell my children?

The following was His answer.  A few parents have asked me to share this on the web so that they can have it for their kids too. 

It is a work in progress and though God-given for my children I hope that it rings true for you as well.

__________________________________________

Answers to the Age-Old Question:
"Why do I need to Know This?

• Why do we go to school? Why learn? Why study at all?

2 Timothy 2:15      ~    "Study to show yourself approved, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, understanding the Word of God."

Matthew 28:19, 20    ~    "Go into all the world and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age."



• Why do we have to learn ________________________ subject?

We study the Word of God so we may know Him.

We study language arts so that we may communicate the Gospel.

We study science so we may defend the Gospel while celebrating the design and intelligence of our Creator.

We study math so we may understand the order of God’s World.

We study history so we may put the Gospel in context of World Events.

We study the arts so we may participate in the beauty of God’s creation.

We study languages so we may share the Good News with all nations.

We study sociology so we know how to best serve our neighbors.

We study archaeology we may understand how ancient civilizations sought God and truth.

We study political science because it is the story of the Human Condition placed under a microscope.

We study the human so we may grasp the divine.

We study because Jesus did - and He is our example.  (Luke 2:52)

We study so that we will be approved to one day rule with Christ. (Rev. 5:20)


____________________________


No comments:

Post a Comment